June 24, 2019
The New York State West Youth Soccer Association (NYSWYSA) is pleased to announce the initiation of the NYSWYSA Women’s Coach Mentor Program. The primary objective of this program is to increase the number of licensed, qualified, female soccer coaches for youth soccer programs, with a secondary goal of encouraging them to continue as coaches long-term, including advancing their coaching credentials. Coincident with the inception of this program, we are pleased to announce the appointment of Anna-Lesa Calvert as the Program Chair. Serving in this position, Anna-Lesa will lead the NYSWYSA Women’s Coach Advisory Program Committee that is charged with the following mission.
Establish a sustainable mentor program within the NYSWYSA footprint to
- Encourage more young women to become youth soccer coaches.
- Provide a continuing support system for women who are interested in coaching to maximize their potential for success.
- Provide a clear path for growth in the number of qualified, successful, female coaches.
- Help guide them with their continuous development as coaches.
Anna-Lesa brings an outstanding resume of relevant experience to this program, which includes the following credentials, among others.
- Executive Director of Algonquin Sports, in Buffalo, NY. Algonquin Sports provides sports for youth development opportunities for underserved youth. In this role she has a demonstrated track record leading growth in the services provided, including significant growth in both the number of participant players and the number of qualified coaches.
- Master of Strategic Leadership degree from St. Bonaventure University.
- National Facilitator for the U.S. Soccer Foundation’s Soccer for Success Program.
- Committee Member, Girls in Sports.
- Buffalo Niagara Partnership, Women to Women Mentoring Program.
- Nominee, White House Champions of Change Award, 2016.
The Women’s Coach Mentor Program and the associated Chair position have the direct backing of the U.S. Soccer Federation as it seeks to support new and innovative ways to grow the number and percentage of women’s soccer coaches at the grassroots level. Once the new Chair begins to develop the framework of the Women’s Coach Mentor Program, the Federation’s Coaching Education department will work with her to determine how to best provide support in order to align this program with their own large-scale initiatives to increase female representation in coaching.
On behalf of the New York State West Youth Soccer Association, please join me in welcoming Anna-Lesa Calvert as our Women’s Coach Mentor Program Chair.
Curtis R. Regruit