Rule 1101. Definitions
Section 1. The definitions of Bylaw 109 of US Youth Soccer apply to this policy. Those definitions include the following:
- "Federation": The United State Soccer Federation, Inc.
- "Region": One of those regions established under Bylaw 322.
- "National Council": The National Council of US Youth Soccer as provided under Bylaw 311.
- "State Association": The administrative body within a territory determined by the National Council to carry out the US Youth Soccer’s programs for youth players.
- "Team": A group of soccer players playing on the same side in soccer games.
- "US Youth Soccer": The United States Youth Soccer Association, Inc.
- "Youth player": An individual who has not reached 19 years of age prior to August 1 immediately before the start of any seasonal year. A player who reaches 19 years of age during a seasonal year is allowed to complete that seasonal year. A player who reaches 19 years of age during August of one seasonal year shall be allowed to complete all of the next seasonal year.
- "NYSWYSA": New York State West Youth Soccer Association.
- "Seasonal year": The seasonal year of NYSYWSA shall begin on September 1st and end on August 31 of the following calendar year
Section 2. The following definitions also apply to this policy:
- "Add": The addition of a player to a teams roster.
- "Eligibility to play": Registered and not under suspension.
- "Involuntary release": The removal of a player from a teams roster at the request of team authorities.
- "Registration": The execution of an intent to play the sport of soccer and the paying of fees to become a member of NYSWYSA and US Youth Soccer.
- "Game Roster": means the list of players who will particiapte in a particular competition.
- "Team Roster": means the list of registered players eligible to play for a team.
- "Rostering": Assignment of a registered player to a team.
- "Select team": The official select or all-star team of US Youth Soccer, A region, NYSWYSA, A district or geographical subdivision of NYSWYSA; or Any league
- "Suspension": The temporary withdrawal of rights and privilege, such as the right to play, coach, or otherwise administer or participate (directly or indirectly) in soccer, and the suspension is for the entire term of the suspension with all rights and privileges withdrawn unless specifically stated otherwise by the suspending authority.
- "Voluntary release": The removal of a player from a teams roster at the request of the player.
Section 3. The following definitions are used by NYSWYSA and suggested for use by leagues within NYSWYSA to facilitate communication and understanding among them:
- "Classic or Club team": A travel or competitive team composed of players who are listed on the team’s NYSWYSA roster for league play and does not include guest players. A Classic or Club team participates in a Classic or Club league (multi-club league; tryouts are allowed; one or more league rules restrict the manner in which players are rostered to participating teams). These leagues are also sometimes referred to as basic travel leagues.
- "Premier team": A team which participates in a single tiered Premier league or the Premier Division of a multiple tiered league (no league rules restrict the manner in which players may be rostered, except for rules which limit recruiting behavior or limit participation of previously rostered players). This would also include those teams that participate in a "weekend" cup-qualifying league.
- "Select team": The official Select team of a US Youth Soccer member National State Association. In NYSWYSA, these are State Olympic Development Program teams. These teams would not be permitted to participate in any NYSWYSA Cup.
- "Inter-Club Tournament team": A team put together for the sole purpose of playing in tournaments or other sanctioned non-league competitions, whose roster includes players who are members of more than one club.
- "Intra-club Tournament team": A tournament team whose roster includes players who are members of only one club.
- "Recreational team": A team which participates in a recreational league (a single club league; no tryouts; all eligible applicants accepted; league balances talent across teams for even competition; rules require that each player play at least ½ of each game).
- "Club": An organization that is a member of NYSWYSA that has identifiable membership of youth soccer players on whose behalf the organization conducts or engages in youth soccer activities; and sometimes referred to as a "league" or "local association," is the basic administrative unit of US Youth Soccer.
- "District": A geographical subdivision of the territory of NYSWYSA.
- "Guest player": A registered player participating in a competition for a team to which the player is not rostered for purposes of league play.
- "Inter-club transfer": The removal of a player from a teams roster at the request of the player and the contemporaneous addition of the player to the roster of another team from a different club.
- "Intra-club transfer": The removal of a player from a teams roster at the request of the player and the contemporaneous addition of the player to the roster of another team from the same club.
- "League": A structured group of 4 or more teams joined for the purpose of inter-team play under a common set of administrative and competition rules; and is differentiated from another league by rules that govern that the rostering of players to each leagues teams, and the different terms used to describe each league do not necessarily reflect the level of ability or talent of teams participating in the league.
- "League team": A team that participates in regularly scheduled league play.
- "Player": A youth player registered in accordance with US Youth Soccer and NYSWYSAs rules.
- "Transfer": The removal of a player from a teams roster on the request of the player, and the contemporaneous addition of the player to the roster of another team.
Rule 1102. Applicability of Policy
This policy only applies to New York State West Youth Soccer Association youth players registered through New York State West Youth Soccer Association, unless specifically stated otherwise.
Rule 1103. Gender of Teams
NYSWYSA recognizes two types of team genders:
Teams with females only are girls teams.
All other teams are boys teams.
Rule 1104. Age Groups
a) Except as otherwise provided by Rule 1105, age groups shall be comprised of youth players who are, before the first day of August of the immediately prior seasonal years:
- Under 19 years of age.
- Under 18 years of age.
- Under 17 years of age.
- Under 16 years of age.
- Under 15 years of age.
- Under 14 years of age.
- Under 13 years of age.
- Under 12 years of age.
- Under 11 years of age.
- Under 10 years of age.
- Under 8 years of age.
- Under 6 years of age.
b) Players may play up in an older age group, but never play down in a lower age group.
ule 1105. State Variances (Rev. 11-02)
As provided by US Youth Soccer Rule 105, NYSYWSA may permit variances in Rule 1104 and 2205 of this policy in the best interest of developing the sport with the jurisdiction of the State Association. Those variances do not apply to any NYSWYSA State Cup competitions.